Sunday, January 31, 2010

Honk, please!?!



To state that honking in India is prevalent, would be an understatement. Nothing can prepare an American for the amount of honking that takes place while traveling the roads of India. Here in the USA, most people follow a honk with an unpleasant hand gesture or a few fingers, but not in India. The noise pollution from honking is overwhelming.


Following is a short list of what a beep, or honk can mean on the roads of India:



  • I'm here

  • watch out

  • hi

  • get out of my way

  • move over

  • hurry up

  • I might hit you

  • I am here for a valet

  • I am coming

  • Stop

  • Go

  • just because

  • move

  • speed up

  • because the back of the truck states "horn please"

A few of us took a pink taxi to a textiles mart in Jaipur, and that ride from the hotel to the mart about a 30 minute ride and was one of the scariest rides of my life, and I was in the back seat! The driver was great and said that you just had to worry about your vehicle and moving forward, not who is next to you. His tip was in order to drive like he does; you need "Good Horn, Good Brakes and Good Luck!" And was that the truth.

No comments: