Sunday, January 31, 2010

Personal space, or lack thereof.



Personal space as we are used to in the USA, is not relevant to those in India and I think the main reason is the size of the population, almost a billion, and 24 million just in Mumbai. I was preparing to really experience this phenom on the train to Agra, but the fog was a bit heavy and the train was running about 3 hours behind. I have seen on television that people trying to load the trains are literally pushed in before the doors are closed.


Personal space doesn't only include my usual two foot invisible circle around me for strangers, but also staring. I felt that as we were walking around different areas many people tended to stare, and not just for a moment or two, but very obviously. I did notice a lack a tall blonde females in the country, but please. Most stares were deliberate and penetrating, but almost as if they were more curious and trying to be offensive.


Also asking questions about personal information was pretty interesting. The cab driver asked if we were married or had children, and when everyone responded "no," he reminded us, "without a wife, is no life" …. Clearly different than the USA! Personal questions here in the USA, are free game in India. My only question is "why is it someone else's business?"


I was prepared for not being able to have as much personal space in India as I do in the USA, but our visit to SpiderLogic in the conference room almost made me uncomfortable, and I really have never been claustrophobic in my life. After a short Q & A session with the lead of the center, we (13) and the rest of the office (25) all gathered in a room the size we would have in the USA for 10-12 at a conference table to listen to a half hour presentation by Kate. The chairs were packed in together and people were standing in the doorways. This was definitely a fire hazard, but the employees did not appear to be uncomfortable at all. I knew the time that we would be so crammed would be short, so it did not make as nervous as possibly the train would have for a longer amount of time.


I think that if you are prepared for having little personal space while traveling in India, you will be better off, but I do also have to mention how I love my space and peace of mind back here at home.

No comments: