Monday, March 01, 2010

Post Trip Perceptions, a response to #2:






I would have to say that I was not too far off on my perceptions of the workplace in India that we saw. When the companies were big, they were really big and advanced. There were a lot of help desks and IT centers, but there were a lot of small businesses on the street as well. I did learn that Indian's speak British English and probably know the rules of grammar a lot better than we do! The offices were set up very similar to the way I imagined, with conference rooms, cubicles, bathrooms, and kitchens.



One thing that surprised me the most was that outside of the IT companies, the likely hood of brown outs and not having connectivity was prevalent, for example getting on the wireless internet at the hotel or using the computers seemed to be more of a challenge than I could have ever imagined. I thought more of the country would be connected and technologically advanced, but I was wrong. One example that sticks in my mind is when we went to visit SpiderLogic in Pune and the bus was unable to travel close to the business because the telephone and electrical lines were too low for the bus to pass under!



Yes, I was right to say that people will do anything to make money (as similar to the USA), from work at a big MNC to a family business, to picking up my luggage and carrying it to the bus for me. For those not specifically employed by a company, tips were the way to earn wages on the street for services performed, such as shining shoes, carrying bags or putting jasmine flower bracelets on your wrists even when you said no at least 10 times.




No comments: