Monday, March 01, 2010

Post Trip Perceptions, a response to #4







As for my thinking that the entire country would be colorful, I was right and it was even more colorful than I could have imagined with all of the textiles, food, flowers and places of worship.

First, the textiles and traditional clothing always incorporated at least three colors, some complimentary, some secondary and some tertiary. Some you wouldn't even expect to be next to each other, but they all looked great and rich and wonderful. Personally, I think the people look happier just because they are wearing colors; it really brings out their personality and lights up their eyes.


Name a color and I am pretty sure I could find a food dish, a spice or a drink anywhere from a nice restaurant to a street vendor. The food and drinks were as rich and flavorful as the colors they exuded, sometimes even more flavorful than I could have imagined! The vegetable and fruit markets were very vibrant.

We visited a Jain Temple in Mumbai and it was the most colorful place I have ever been and I took one of my favorite pictures there! I am not exactly sure what was going on, but the use of color was everywhere. At first, I thought, a color explosion, but the more time I spent there, the use of color was deliberate and thought out in a subconscious fashion. AMAZING! It was almost like a dream world with the different textures and paintings complimenting each other.

Flowers were everywhere and beautiful and fragrant; buckets and strings all over the markets. Marigolds flower garlands were used in worship as an offering to their deity or to decorate their place of work.

No comments: